Quantcast

Remove Your Credit Card Details from Xbox Live – ONLINE!

One of our most popular post series’ is How to Remove Remove Credit Card Details from Xbox Live. The upshot of it all was basically… you can’t. Not properly. We tried the website. We tried phoning them up. 53 days later, Nick’s credit details were still on his Xbox Live account.

Stories came in from everywhere about people having the credit card problems. Scott wanted to stop his son from buying MS points indiscriminately – couldn’t do it. PrincessMeri spent two years asking Microsoft to stop billing her. Mark‘s account was hacked and $247 worth of points was charged to his card. People even made complaints to Watchdog and the Better Business Bureau (sadly, with no direct response). Lots of worldwide frustration over such a simple little thing.

We are now happy to report that Microsoft have finally added an option to remove your credit card details from your Xbox account! They no longer blacklist your card and you can add it back later if you change your mind.

Editor’s Note: We’ve been updating this page as Microsoft update their site. Comments below may not be reflective of the current version. This page was last updated on 12th July 2011

Here’s how. Click on the images to see full-size versions:

1. Log in to Xbox.com
  2. Hover over My Xbox and click on Accounts
  3. Click Manage Payment Options
  4. You should now be presented with a list of your current credit cards. Click Remove for the card you wish to remove
  5. Click Yes in the pop-up prompt
  6. And if you’re lucky, your card might be removed. Unlike mine.

Going to the Payment method information page as instructed brings me to my Microsoft billing information. This reveals that my only existing service is “Prepaid 12M Xbox Gold”.

I’ve just turned off automatic renewal for Xbox Live Gold so there shouldn’t be any payments due but it still won’t let me remove my credit card. As such, I don’t hold out much hope for anyone else. Do let me know in the comments if you manage to remove your card. Good luck!

Update January 2011: Updated instructions and screenshots again for Xbox.com’s October redesign. Also discovered that with the current version of Xbox Live, it appears that you can no longer remove all your credit cards even when your subscription has been moved to a 12 month pre-pay. I had to attach a different credit card to my account before it would let me remove the old one. Very unimpressed, Microsoft.

Update: 11th Feb 2009

We’re getting reports that some people are having trouble removing their cards. Some even think this is a fake option on the site to placate us. Trust us, it’s not. You can actually remove your card details.

As Gabe says in the comments, they may have an active subscription using their credit card that needs to be cancelled first. I switched to a pre-paid 12 month subscription a few months ago, so the theory seems to hold true. If you get a customer service rep to explain this, let us know.

Our advice, buy pre-paid cards instead:

UK Links:
US Links:

1. Ben

1st Jul, 2011 at 11:22 am

2. Lucas

6th Aug, 2011 at 5:13 pm

it wont let me remove mine it says, an outstanding balance exists on this instrument, help!!

3. you

18th Aug, 2011 at 2:47 am

same lucas, what do i do

4. dude

22nd Aug, 2011 at 10:28 pm

When I press “remove credit card info” it says that I can’t because an “outstanding balance exists”, please help/

5. Smart Guy

28th Aug, 2011 at 3:38 am

I had the same problem but turned off automatic membership renewal and im thinking it still needs to charge the VISA. like i got this message at the ime of purchase saying your VISA will not be charged yet. i think beause they promise not to store personel info, they just dont allow you to remove the payment info until it has been payed for. HOPE THIS HELPS

6. jordan carter (SOMEDODY JUST)

12th Sep, 2011 at 9:04 am

i have tried removing the card but i cant it says -An outstanding balance exists on this payment instrument. Please try again later.- and now im suspended because of it.

7. Sefrugon

13th Sep, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I managed to remove the credit card!

All I did was link my PayPal account. When it is appears below your credit card (Main Payment), click on “Apply Membership”, this should now make PayPal your main payment source. It should read beside it “Currently used for : Gold – 12 Month.

This should downgrade your Credit Card to “Currently Used : None ” , you should then be able to click remove and then……TaDa! Goodbye Credit Card.

I only needed to remove as I paid off my Cred Card recently and do not want any phantom payments coming off. PayPal is much more convenient for me. I assume you would be able to remove this with no problem ( alot easier than the Credit Card fiasco!) But dont hold me to that.

Hope this helps

8. Pissed off customer

21st Sep, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Microsoft are fucking cunts i mean cmon ripping millions of people off because you csnt even remove your fucking credit card, fucking only way they would listen and do something about it is if we tried to get together and sue them but eityer way it gives you a number to call and no one ever picks up the phone and if someone ever did pick up they would probably redirect you for an hour and it would probably be a fuckig overseas $500 call!! Fuck microsoft

9. Im So FUcking ANNOYED

22nd Sep, 2011 at 9:53 am

MICROSOFT stop trying to take are money who dah fuck wantz u to “AUTO” take are money? itz so much better if you let us manually do it… FUCK YOU MICROSOFT for making something a 5 second step, 30 minutes of talking to some Indian chick about canceling this Crapy video game thingy.

10. Dyer

10th Oct, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I have been through this drama before with Microsoft, How you get it removed it call Microsoft Billing Support.
    They will direct you to Microsoft’s Billing site and you will log onto your xbox live account With you email and password you used to create the account. Then you will have to pay the outstanding balance on the account (The money you owe them for a missed payment ect..) Then once that is payed you will be able to remove your card.

I suggest just buying card from stores that way you don’t have to deal with this again.

11. yester64

18th Oct, 2011 at 3:43 am

I feel really disenfranchised with the measures MS takes.
    Isn’t the CC my card where i should have the right to remove it without question? Now i linked it with paypal too but can’t remove paypal. Or course.
    I will buy a cheap member card, add it and see if i can remove paypal then.
    Before you were able to at least change the autorenewel, but that doesn’t work anymore.
    Is Sony as painful as MS regarding this? I really hate the Xbox now.

• Kristi

25th Oct, 2011 at 6:56 pm

No, Sony is NOT as painful as MS. You’re not even charged for online play in the first place on the playstation network, and I have had no issues in removing credit card information.

This is why I will always buy my multiplayer games for the playstation and not xbox, this is absolutely ridiculous. I have been on hold for nearly ten minutes.

12. Kristi

25th Oct, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I am sitting on hold right now – I tried all the different things I saw on this site, as well as others, to try and remove my credit information the simple way, at current I can see absolutely no way to do this. This is entirely ridiculous, and it seems fairly shady that they wont let you remove credit information as you do so please. We’ll see if I ever purchase xbox live again.

After about 10 – 15 minutes of waiting on hold I was connected, the guy was friendly enough, but was damn determined to set me up with a longer live subscription, despite stressing the issue I did not have the money regardless of when I would be billed. Mildly frustrating (especially considering the mood I was already in thanks to all this bull), but all in all he ended my automatic renewal. Sorry Live, but I am fairly certain I will not be purchasing you again.

13. Russ

1st Nov, 2011 at 9:19 pm

You cannot remove the credit card but you can edit you credit information. Change the name on the credit card to something invalid, like “Microsoft is crooked” or something just as cleaver and also change the card’s experation date to the current month, so it will be invalid next month. Finally change the security number to 123.

14. limi

4th Dec, 2011 at 1:22 am

hi ppl im from belgium and i had the same problem like you guys the only way what you can do is call your bank and ask them to deactivate your credit card and ask for a new1 with other numbers thats what i did and the ms cant take any money of you

15. crapsniffer

6th Dec, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Got rid of gold membership 4 months ago, still can’t delete credit card info online or via console. I’m switching to PS3, f*ck you Microsoft.

16. knurre

30th Dec, 2011 at 11:15 am

I’ve managed to delete my credit card number. I changed the payment to another card.

AND for that the assholes charged me with 1€, didn’t see anywhere in the “warning”-text about any extra costs to CHANGE payment method from one credit card to another.

These things makes me so angry…

• Matthew

6th Jan, 2012 at 6:40 pm

@knurre The 1€, was (more than likely) a holding charge, a lot of companies will charge new cards a small fee for the sole fact of making sure it’s a valid card you’re registering. These holding fees are quickly removed as soon as they have successfully processed. Don’t. Panic.

17. Manlo Loko

1st Mar, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I changed from CC to Paypal as main and removed CC. Then changed paypal email. That will work i think.

18. yester64

4th Mar, 2012 at 8:05 pm

If you change it to paypal (requires a paypal account) you can remove the cc after that. I did it like that.
    In paypal you need to see what agreement it is and cancel the agreement.
    After that you should get a notice several times stating that there is something wrong with your payment information. Disregard it and it will be the end of automatic payment to xbox live.
    I have a ps3 now and one thing i will not do is to pay with cc. Lesson learned!

19. Joakim