How To Remove Credit Card Details From Xbox Live

Update 7th Feb 2009:
The saga is over! Microsoft have now given us the option to remove credit card details through Xbox.com. See Remove Your Credit Card Details from Xbox Live – ONLINE! for details.

A few months ago I decided to purchase a months Xbox Live Gold membership. As you all know this is very easy to do. Enter your credit or debit card details and Microsoft take your money before you can blink. Then you receive the obligatory confirmatory email thanking you for your soul purchase. This email also tells you that your membership will automatically renew and:

For information about changing or cancelling your membership and your membership refund policy, go to www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

However, you can’t cancel your membership or remove your credit card details either via your Xbox dashboard or www.xbox.com/live/accounts. Even when you end up at http://billing.microsoft.com you can only change or add a credit or debit card. There is no facility what-so-ever to remove a payment method or cancel a service. Rubbish.

However, I want to stop my monthly Xbox Live Gold subscription. The only way to do this (at the moment) is by calling Xbox Support. I’ve included all the options you need to select to get you through to the relevant help desk person.

UK Xbox Support – Telephone: 0800 587 1102

• Press 1 – Xbox 360 support menu
  • Then press 1 – For Xbox Live including billing enquires menu
  • Then press 2 – For the cancel or enquire about your account menu
  • Finally press 1 – To speak to someone about cancelling your Xbox Live subscription

After I’d said I wanted to remove my credit card details from my Xbox Live account, I was asked for the following information:

• Name
  • Credit/Debit card number
  • Address
  • Home phone number
  • Xbox Live username
  • Mobile phone number

I was then given a call reference (no surprises there) and told that my request would be escalated to a special team. A member of this team would contact me (via my mobile number) within 48 hours.

The result of all this. It will take 30 days to remove my credit card details from my Xbox Live account. Yes, 30 days (I asked the help desk person to confirm this, just in case I miss heard, which they did). I find this totally unacceptable. The actual (and time-consuming) process of removing/cancelling your card details was completely glossed over in all the communications I received from Microsoft. I won’t hold my breath for the ability to cancel any subscription via the Xbox 360 dashboard. Somehow I don’t think it’s on Microsoft’s feature list (i.e it won’t make them any money). However, until they add this functionality I will not add my credit card details to my live account again.

Update 1st Jan 08: The task of removing my card details continues in part II and part III.

Our advice, remove your card details and buy pre-paid cards instead:

UK Links:
US Links:

Then you won’t have to worry about any credit card details :-)

1. Anton

17th Apr, 2009 at 12:27 pm

thank you so much for posting this..it took my half an hour to find this page and this number as all other numbers lead me to some random warehouse…it took my 12 minutes to cancel but i must admit the guy was very helpful and recommended that if i want gold but don't want to put my credit card on the line…buy the pre-pay cards and just enter the code…easy :)

2. Brad

22nd May, 2009 at 8:56 am

yeah long winded, apparently they will remove my card details and cancel subscription and because i still have a few months left they are going to email me a code to allow me to use the remaining subscription time, they said they are working on a solution to allow people to remove their card details – don't hold your breath! i will be purchasing those top up cards from now on!

I remember having this trouble 12 years ago when I signed up to microsoft dial-up internet.

3. Aaron

4th Jun, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Fantastic have just called 0800 587 1102 as Gareth Brown suggested a few posts up and got through to speak to an american guy and he gave me a reference number as proof of my cancellation and that was it he sorted it all out for me. The whole process took 5 minutes. Just gona keep an eye on my bank now to make sure the subscription deffinately doesnt charge me come renewal day. But im very happy so far.

Thanks everyone for the info.

4. Prizbo

11th Jun, 2009 at 4:45 pm

I did it quite easily to be honest. I went onto my Xbox live account via my laptop and then there was an option to remove the credit card as a payment option. Though to be fair I cancelled my Gold membership subscription months ago

5. Lorraine G

13th Jun, 2009 at 6:30 pm

My advise to anyone who is thinking of putting their credit card details on X box live is don't. I put my debit cards details in to purchase points so my son could download a film. Approximately a week later when I checked my emails I found that several other transactions had taken place and someone kept adding points to my sons account. They also managed to change his gamer tag name to the Devils Pubes ( I suppose they thought that was funnly) . At first I thought it was my son purchasing without permission. However he had already reported to Xbox that someone had hacked into his account. I was furious at this point so rang Xbox . Luckily points were added but apart from the points used to change the gamer tag no other downloads had taken place. They blocked my son's system for downloads and refunded me for all the points added approx £40. This took a couple of weeks. I did not get an explanation on how someone could hack into our system. They could not take my debit card details off straight away so I ended up cancelling my card with the bank. I have now purchased a points card but am having problems adding them to his account so I will be ringing them today.

• danny

6th Oct, 2010 at 6:22 pm

sounds like your son gave them his email password and gamer tag you were lucky to get anything back

6. anynomus

7th Aug, 2009 at 12:58 pm

yah um… i dont have a credit or debit and i dont kno why but i cant just enter the code… i have the papers and codes but i cant enter the stupid thing…

7. Lewis

31st Aug, 2009 at 11:59 am

I understand everyones frustration, because MS customer service is appaling. My situation was that there was an offer on Xbox live where you could buy a month subscription for one pound, but after the one month was over they kept on billing my credit card the full £4.99. this went on for 3 months before i realised they were charging me. this wasnt a problem because i play on my xbox alot and aslong as i had the credit in my bank account it was ok. last week i found out i avt got enough money to pay the £4.99 so i went on the xbox website and very easily removed my card details.

I did it by entering my msn messenger details in to sign in my gamertag, then by following the links "change contact infomation" then "Manage payment options" and finaly remove creit card detalis. Hope this helps people beat the hold microsoft has on us all.

8. jon

11th Dec, 2009 at 9:26 pm

I added my credit card to my account to get xbox live and tried to remove my credit card info a dozen times, then called them thet said they would refund me with online credits but I'd have to go back from gold membership to silver meaning no online play. I have 2 kids and the xbox live downloaded games I got the boys need to sign into my account to use them. Worst thing is that I now realize all my old xbox harddrives some of I had sold hold the info to enter my account and charge whatever they want to my credit card. There should be a separate pin number for online purchases to protect my credit card and this would cut down on the hassle from customers cancelling their Xbox accounts, reporting lost credit card or filing fraud charges.

9. jorge luis

20th Dec, 2009 at 4:05 am

no matter what MS does to scam u. u got to remember the games that they are giving you if u want to cancel its not hard i canceled a lot of a accounts a day your mad because it happened to u but seeing millions of people are messaging don't u feel better that it's not just u?
    MS:bad company
    xbox live:great fun

10. Jonny Tremane

25th Dec, 2009 at 6:40 am

1. Go to http://marketplace.xbox.com/MyAccount/MyAccount.a
    (http://marketplace.xbox.com/MyAccount/MyAccount.a
    and sign in with your Windows Live ID.
    2. Select Manage Payment Options.
    3. Find the payment option that you want to remove and click Remove.
    4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.

11. Tom

14th Feb, 2010 at 4:51 pm

I just had to do this myself, I was frustrated there wasn’t a clear option to remove it and I had to make a call, after listening to a pre recorded message about things I already knew I got to a person in a call center and it took 10 mins but she deleted my card removed the suspension for the payment not coming out on the renewal date and now my redeem code from my card works, so luckily I didn’t have to wait 30 days, maybe its because I’m from the UK or because they’ve sorted themselves out a bit.
    It still should be an option on the actual xbox accounts screen though.

12. Vito

17th Feb, 2010 at 5:21 am

I too have felt the pain dished out by the great and powerful Mircosoft. I have tried the suggestions in the other posts to no avail. I have endured through the 1hr 10min phone call, only to be offered a 7 day process where my kids will not have access to live (meanwhile they are off from school this week). I have failed. BUT I NOW KNOW THE ANSWER. Too late for myself, but I hope others can benefit.
    NEVER give Microsoft your credit card. – Major credit card companies feature online temporary numbers that allow you to hide your real number and apply strict limits to the temporary numbers. Bank of America offers “Shopsafe” and CitiCards offers “Virtual Credit Card”. Good Luck.

13. ryan

6th Mar, 2010 at 8:11 pm

if you go to this link, http://www.xbox.com/live/accounts, then click on ‘manage payment options at the side it will clearly ask you wethyer to edit, add or remove your payment options (credit card details)

• Weefz

7th Mar, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Yup, they finally added that last year :)

14. Karl

5th Apr, 2010 at 5:52 pm

i clicked on “remove” card details and got

This payment option cannot be removed at this time. Go to the Payment method information page to view services associated with this payment option.

3 months now i cannot remove PLEASE HELP

15. Morgan

2nd May, 2010 at 9:02 pm

I searched all over xbox for a solution for this.
    This is what the page I found said:

Remove a Credit Card
    1. Go to xbox.com/accounts.
    2. Sign in with your windows live ID.
    3. Select Manage Payment Options.
    4. Find the credit card you want to remove and click remove.

Sorry if this doesn’t work.

16. Charlie

2nd Jun, 2010 at 7:15 pm

No, live does not let you delete credit card information, it’s unethical and immoral but that is their policy. I have 2 accounts and the only way I can remove a credit card is to give them fresh meat (another credit card). I have 1 360 and one classic old xbox, the account I created with the classic is not needed since LIVE STOPPED SUPPORTING XBOX on 4-15-2010 so they can make you go out and buy 360s. I am less than 1/2 year through my annual memberships and I called to cancel one account and they harassed me about that, and they said they cannot give me credit or refund for the unused balance. After being on the phone for near 45 minutes and being reassured by Justin on 5-25-2010 that there would be no more charges to my card when the account they supposedly cancelled expires. I gave up to regroup and call a superviser another day. Unfortunately I went to my 360 to remove one of the accounts there and it logged in with the cancelled account, go figure. Way up top I read my next step, gonna try the BBB next.

17. WILL

3rd Jul, 2010 at 2:27 am

hi i have tryed that remove card online and it wont let me does anyone know how i can remove the card please help me

18. Lloyd

15th Jul, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I Phoned them today to cancle my subscription the guy said that my account aws due payment toorrow and that he cancled it while he was on the phone to me and that tomorrow it will revert back to silver so ill see how this goes

19. alex

21st Jul, 2010 at 6:14 am

thats fycken bullshit ive been chared 130 dollers in the lst four days and ihavent even bought anything i need to no how oto get ym cards off there

20. Collette

5th Aug, 2010 at 10:02 pm

I put my debit card details on my son’s xbox when I bought him some points and 3 months live gold. Previously I had bought gold via vouchers. I tried to remove the card when I realised they could just carry on charging to it after the three months was up but couldn’t do it through ‘Manage Accounts’ on the console. We tried to do it with the MSN advice on here but my son couldn’t remember an ID or password as he’s always chopping and changing them.

I discovered tonight that over the past 6 weeks or so he has used the buying power of my card 4 times! Not a lot of money, only £20 odd quid but I am understandably furious with him for doing this, especially as he ‘hand on heart’ promised he would never, ever do such a thing!!

As it was a debit card, I phoned my Bank and told them it was lost/stolen so they’ve cancelled it and are issuing me with a new one (new number etc.,). Guy on the customer service line said that will do it. It’s okay if you’ve used a debit card but for those with a credit card it’s not always an option to cancel it, as there may be other outstanding purchases you need to honour.

21. Lloyd

8th Aug, 2010 at 7:12 pm

well they did as they said and cancled mine and i have not been charged and im very happy :D

22. Lloyd

8th Aug, 2010 at 10:35 pm

@debbie shame they can’t be like that for everyone and cause no problems -.-

23. Fuck Bill Gates

10th Sep, 2010 at 4:11 am

If I see one more ‘its easy just go to account management/payment options’ response again I’ll come and kick your ass, credit cards auto renew, microsofts ‘help page’ states sign in and turn off auto renew, there is no fucking way to do this, I tried, once you have auto renew your fucked, microsoft will fucking empty your bank and theres fuck all you can do to stop it without speaking to some cunt on the phone for fucking ever and end up paying a fucking premium line call charge and waiting 30 days, what fucking bullshit is this? They dont fucking mention this when you use a fucking credit card, microsoft are a bunch of robbing fucking bullshit serving cunts, they should be fucking shot to fuck for this, and shot more for fucking suggesting on their nohelp page ‘simply turn off auto renew’ are you fucking mental. Utter bullshit lies and total cunts. Fuck you microsoft, never ever ever add a fucking credit card or you will get fucked. (and yeah I was pissed).

24. Ummm

30th Oct, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Log-in to stop my credit card from being billed, click on “account” link…

“You’ve found a glitch in the system” (all other links work fine)

Well played Microsoft, well played.

25. Kev

10th Mar, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Why can you not just ‘Amend’ the credit card details, so they are not valid, maybe change the 3 security numbers.
    Then if they try to bill you the transaction will fail.

26. Robin

20th Mar, 2011 at 9:57 am

Got automatic renewal turned off in 5 minutes, brilliant. :D

27. karl

6th May, 2011 at 8:29 am

i have just been given code of conduct 1 mth ban from xbox live i have a 12mth pre pay subscription needles to say will be ending this and removing my card details… and asking for my month… xbox is shit as all my download content cannot access during ban.. so they not only have my month of xbox live but all my content..due to a group of users tha bannded together to complain about me because they didnt like me … life on xbox is not fair i cant begin to tell you the faults with this network….

28. wymetto

8th Jun, 2011 at 2:12 am

You must trust the source you are giving your information too.. in this case? of course – bad deal..

29. Jason

15th Jun, 2011 at 10:54 pm

hay um does any1 have the australian xbox support number because this is a UK number !!! can any1 help me please im from AUSRTRALIA and i have this problem

30. Pete

18th Jun, 2011 at 9:20 am

I feel I was tricked into signing up for monthly payments, I thought I would try it out as they offered me a month for 99p, thought that was a good price to just try it out, should have read the small print :(

Anyway, tried removing my card details but as others pointed out it says outstanding balance(strange as I thought you paid monthly in advance!) kept looking around and found a way to pay the outstanding balance, went back to remove card details, but still they will not let me!!!! The only way is to call their special number, and from what I have read its no help, they want all different details and even after that I saw loads of people were still being charged!

But this is where I got sneaky ;)
    If you have a paypal account you can pay monthly with that, so once you have added your paypal details you can then delete your other card details, what’s the point in that? Well, log into paypal and delete that payment.

My last email from them :)

We are contacting you because we have been unable to charge your PayPal Account for your Gold – 1 Month service(s) being billed to you through Microsoft Online Services. The following PayPal Account is the current payment method on your billing account:

PayPal Account: ********************************

PayPal Billing Agreement Id: *************************************

To avoid an interruption of your services or to reactivate suspended service(s), please provide a valid PayPal Account. If payment is due for other Microsoft services purchased with the above PayPal Account, those services may also be affected.

To check pricing details, and to confirm your account information and payment options, go to: https://billing.microsoft.com
    If you have already resolved this issue, please disregard this notice and accept our thanks.

Thank you for using Microsoft Online Services.

Xbox LIVE Team

31. yester64

18th Oct, 2011 at 5:07 am

Pete, i did like you did. I linked it to paypal, removed my CC from Xbox Live and canceled in Paypal the subscription.
    That should solve it. I might you pre-paid instead in the future. Hopefully i can then remove paypal from the list as well.

This is a very unfriendly policy from MS and does not encourage me to ever give my information to them.

32. frusrated

21st Nov, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I successfully removed my cc option online such that when I go online and check for payment options it says there are none. What I cannot do is remove my cc info from the xbox player. It still is available for purchases which i found out when one of my kids purchased points yesterday. Is there any option to remove cc info on the xbox itself?

33. OncewasI

18th Mar, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Yea my problem was that I had a old mastercard I used and I rang the bank and canceled it but it says I still have an outstanding balence like I don’t care about my gold so much I just want my account non suspended,its all due to my canceling my master card that they did this to me anybody else had this problem?

34. M$Rcr00k$

24th May, 2012 at 1:38 am

I have to add my experiences(nightmares) with Micro$soft to this site so others can read and learn about the worst business practices I have ever witnessed.Multiple times I have had payment issues with these people.I have paid for Gold services with a credit card and canceled it eith on their site and through the console menue just to have both of those fail and be charged again.This is happened 4 times over a 2 year period.The only way that I’ve ever been able to cancel sucessfully is to call them directly and that in its self is a nightmare because usually I end up speaking to a person with a horrible command of english that has and can cause all kinds of misunderstandings.The most recent situation was me getting charged again and causing me on overdraft to my bank account eventhough I canceled the Gold account.I’m pretty sure that I had used the option to cancel within a menue from my console.Anyhow,they wouldn’t allow me to delete that payment info without having another payment (card) option,so I used a card from an old,closed account in order to delete the one I was overdrawn in.After trying to cancle my gold account from the website,they still tried to charge the defunct card and since it wouldnt take,my xbox silver account was suspended,meaning I couldnt do ANYTHING online with my console.I was even given a notification that I had an outstanding balance with them.It took me calling them,sitting on hold for 25 minutes,talking to someone who neither of us could understand one another very well,being transferred to someone who could before I was able to get it all resolved.after goign through all of that,it only took about 5 minutes of talking to the right person person to get my account restored to silver and the charges dismissed.I know I’m not the only one this has happened to.Word to the wise peopl:Only use the pre-paid cards for ANY kind of purchases made on the xbox live network.Anything else is a shot in the dark every time.Microsap could learn alot of Blizzard’s business practices and how they take care of their customers.In my opinion,they deserve an Annonymous visitor.

35. Dianne Brocklehurst

20th Nov, 2012 at 9:22 am

Thanks for the info on removing my CC details all year i’ve been getting charged each month and I’ve cancelled twice…logged on to banking today and there’s another £5.99 gone..I’ve just cancelled again??? I can’t get a refund either but they have removed my details and cancelled XBOX live..had email to confirm. What do they think they are doing and how many of us have fell for this its robbery..Never signing upto it again..

36. Samuel Whitrod

11th Oct, 2013 at 6:25 am

So I made an account on my friends email because we wanted to play online. My friend moved overseas and no longer uses that email. I’ve never been able to get into that account again to cancel it. I tried on and off for months whilst being charged 11$ a month.
    Cut to a year and a half later- my card expired and I got a new one sent out. Sweet. No more charges? WRONG
    a few months of getting emails from Microsoft (yes, my email is a secondary contact address for the card yet I can’t login with it or use it for a Microsoft account)… anyway..I stop getting the emails…checked my bank today and Microsoft has started charging to my NEW card. I want to know HOW THE HELL they got it! I use my card online only for flights and Steam! This has got to be illegal! Yet it’s still near impossible to find even a way to contact them- I am led in circles and with my busy schedule of work and school I rarely have time to pursue this.
    PS I live in Australia. If anyone can help. PLEASE.