- Indie Rock: Social Interaction Trainer
- Indie Rock: GAME OF THE YEAR 420BLAZEIT
- Assassin’s Creed: Rogue – Where To Find The Tablets?
- Breaking A World Record – The Liveblog
- Guinness World Record FIFA 15 Marathon Attempt This Wednesday
- Indie Rock: Return of the Obra Dinn
- Retroreflection – Nintendo/Squaresoft Gems of a Generation
How To Remove Credit Card Details From Xbox Live
- Updated: 15th Dec, 2007
Update 7th Feb 2009:
The saga is over! Microsoft have now given us the option to remove credit card details through Xbox.com. See Remove Your Credit Card Details from Xbox Live – ONLINE! for details.
A few months ago I decided to purchase a months Xbox Live Gold membership. As you all know this is very easy to do. Enter your credit or debit card details and Microsoft take your money before you can blink. Then you receive the obligatory confirmatory email thanking you for your
soul purchase. This email also tells you that your membership will automatically renew and:
For information about changing or cancelling your membership and your membership refund policy, go to www.xbox.com/live/accounts.
However, you can’t cancel your membership or remove your credit card details either via your Xbox dashboard or www.xbox.com/live/accounts. Even when you end up at http://billing.microsoft.com you can only change or add a credit or debit card. There is no facility what-so-ever to remove a payment method or cancel a service. Rubbish.
However, I want to stop my monthly Xbox Live Gold subscription. The only way to do this (at the moment) is by calling Xbox Support. I’ve included all the options you need to select to get you through to the relevant help desk person.
UK Xbox Support – Telephone: 0800 587 1102
- Press 1 – Xbox 360 support menu
- Then press 1 – For Xbox Live including billing enquires menu
- Then press 2 – For the cancel or enquire about your account menu
- Finally press 1 – To speak to someone about cancelling your Xbox Live subscription
After I’d said I wanted to remove my credit card details from my Xbox Live account, I was asked for the following information:
- Credit/Debit card number
- Home phone number
- Xbox Live username
- Mobile phone number
I was then given a call reference (no surprises there) and told that my request would be escalated to a special team. A member of this team would contact me (via my mobile number) within 48 hours.
The result of all this. It will take 30 days to remove my credit card details from my Xbox Live account. Yes, 30 days (I asked the help desk person to confirm this, just in case I miss heard, which they did). I find this totally unacceptable. The actual (and time-consuming) process of removing/cancelling your card details was completely glossed over in all the communications I received from Microsoft. I won’t hold my breath for the ability to cancel any subscription via the Xbox 360 dashboard. Somehow I don’t think it’s on Microsoft’s feature list (i.e it won’t make them any money). However, until they add this functionality I will not add my credit card details to my live account again.
Our advice, remove your card details and buy pre-paid cards instead:
- Xbox Live 12 Month Gold Membership plus 2 free months – £34.99
- Xbox Live 3 Month Gold Membership Card – £9.99
- Xbox Live 4200 Points Card – £34.99
- Xbox Live 2100 Points Card – £14.99
- Xbox Live 12 Month Gold Membership – $49.99
- Xbox Live 3 Month Gold Membership Card – $24.95
- Xbox Live 4000 Points Card – $49.99
- Xbox Live 2100 Points Card – $19.99
Then you won’t have to worry about any credit card details :-)