E3 2013: Sony Press Conference Summary
- Updated: 11th Jun, 2013
Jack Tretton president of CEO SCEA made us wait for the big PS4 reveal though, choosing to promote the PS Vita first. Tearaway, Killzone Mercenary, God of War HD 1 and 2, Final Fantasy X and X-2, Flower and Dead Nation and a new episode of The Walking Dead called 400 days, all coming to the system soon.
Sony then reeled off the list of upcoming PS3 games:
- The Last of Us – Released this Friday
- Beyond: Two Souls – New footage was shown with Jodie Holmes (played by Ellen Page) kicking the crap out of loads of guys while on what appears to be a covert army operation. Don’t mess with her!
- Gran Turismo 6 – Featuring a new physics and rendering engine, aero and tyre model. It’s even higher def car porn
- Batman: Arkham Origins – Batman has a $50 million price tag on his head from the Black Mask and the Joker is back. The 60s Batman outfit DLC is kinda cool Released 5th Oct 2013
- GTA V – No gameplay footage shown but there will be a special PS3 console bundle and headset available
Then it was time for the PS4 to take the limelight.
- Cost: £349
- HDD: 500Gb
- Dimensions: 275mm x 53mm x 305mm
- Release: Fall 2013
- Pre-owned games: No restrictions at all. They are your games.
- Always on: Nope. Games don’t need to authenticate via the Internet
- Services: Video and music unlimited available at launch
- Cloud gaming: service launches in 2014 in US initially. Stream PS3 games using Gaikai tech
- Launch games – Killzone, Driveclub, Knack (ones we know about so far)
Memberships carry over to PS4. Driveclub plus will be available as part of the instant game collection. Also upcoming PS4 Indie games Outcast, Secret Poncho and Don’t Starve to be part of the free game every month.
Shu Yoshida, president of worldwide studios announced that 30 PS4 games currently in development at Sony, 20 of these are planned for release in the first year of PS4 and 12 of them brand new IPs.
Indie Games Shown:
- The Witness
- Transistor – Isometric, styles action puzzler
- Don’t starve
- Mercenary games – Hand drawn multiplayer shooter
- Octodad: Dadliest catch
- Secret ponchos
- Ray’s the dead – recruit a zombie army to find out why he died Outlast
- Abe’s Oddysee: New N’ Tasty
PlayStation 4 games Shown:
The Order: 1886
Sporting a quite beautiful Victorian-era London as the main backdrop, The Order: 1886 showed off some intense firefights between some nasty zombie-like monsters and our smartly dressed (for the time period) protagonists. The short clip from the in-game engine showed enormous promise.
The Dark Sorcerer:
Not actually a game but a 12 min tech demo from Quantic Dream. Which will be shown in its entirety on the E3 PlayStation booth and online from 1pm 11/06/13. Don’t miss this. It’s both funny and beautiful.
Final Fantasy XV:
Shown in trailer form, blending fantasy and reality. Looks extremely pretty with some mind-bogglingly epic battles.
It was also announced that Final Fantasy XI coming to PS3/PS4 and that Kingdom hearts 3 is now in development.
Assassin’s Creed IV: The Black Flag
First gameplay demo shown. It was a bit glitchy with the onscreen action freezing quite a few times. But then it is Assassins Creed after all. There was lots of hiding in (very) lush tropical fauna, climbing in trees and shanking soldiers. The push forward to escape sequences made an appearance too in some amazing looking action set pieces.
New mission showing off the weather, driving hacking phones and helping your colleague T-Bone escape by controlling security cameras. A special outfit and an hour of gameplay will be exclusive to PlayStation.
More talk of balls with a digital replica of basketball player LeBron James shown talking to the real Lebron. Or was that the other way around? Anyway, lots of balls and more dribbling.
The Elder Scrolls Online:
Only a trailer shown. Coming spring 2014 to PS4 with the beta exclusive to PS4.
Developed by Avalanche Studio, only a brief trailer was shown featuring Max lightly kicking and eventually running over some sort of crusty bad guy, who had a death wish. Road warriors survival kit exclusive to PS4.
Live gameplay of Bungie’s first game post-Halo. Set in Old Russia 5 people playing characters ranting from a Warlock to a Hunter with a kick ass sniper rifle. There were traditional weapons along with Some very destructive magic. 5 different players were on stage taking part in one of the games’ public events which turned out to be battling a fallen devil walker (aka a giant bug). The game looked amazing. Seriously pretty.