XLeague.tv is now Pulse

Not content with changing channels every 6 months, dedicated video game channel XLeague.tv (most recently seen on Sky Channel 208) is now rebranding as Pulse. Or possibly Xleague.tv on Pulse. I’m not too sure.

Pulse (formerly XLeague.tv) Logo

As much as I like to support gaming endeavours, I just can’t watch Xleague.tv for very long. I’m a gamer, but not an FPS or sport gamer so most of the analysis is pretty much unintelligible to me. At least, I assume that’s the main problem. That and whenever I flip it on, there’s either some “humorous” animation or a bunch of talking heads. Mostly I just find the channel boring. It’s not the sort of thing you’d want to watch for hours on end, yet it’s not accessible enough for channel flipping.

I think it needs a format more like Robot Wars – show us a nice flashy introduction to the map or game and feature each of the weapons available. Give us an overhead of where the players are, or their tactics. It’s all pre-filmed so this is entirely possible. I want pretty annotated graphics – TV should be all about the visuals and accessibility, not endless shots of people sitting on a sofa nattering to each other about things that your average TV viewer can only vaguely follow.

I tell ya, my first year in England, if you had asked me whether or not I’d enjoy watching a program about about RC buggies with axes strapped to them shoving each other into a flaming pit, I’d have looked at you as if you were completely mental. Yet Robot Wars won me over because they spent just a couple minutes explaining everything in each episode. I’m sure the same can be done for every game on XLeague.tv.

UK Readers, have you watched Xleague recently? Do you think it has improved?

1. t2x

28th Feb, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Erm, just a few points. It is BSkyB who force the channel number changes, not the channels themselves. and The Match (the show that features all the game action) isn’t pre-filmed. The games are played there and then and recorded to tape as they are cut from one console to the other.

i agree that there could be better use of map, weapon graphics etc.

2. Weefz

28th Feb, 2008 at 10:04 pm

Thanks for the corrections. I did think channel-hopping was a very strange thing for them to be doing.

3. Zath

1st Mar, 2008 at 11:05 am

I’ve tried watching it a couple of times now and it’s usually been just a case of watching some play Rainbow Six Vegas and such, without that great a commentary. Also, I did notice that the graphics looked awful to watch on a TV, I’m guessing that was a combination of the lower resolution of TV and also the compression Sky uses on the smaller channels.

If you don’t make an event out of showing these games, then I may as well go and watch people play in a LAN match and been as equally un-involved (which was what I was doing in Piccadily’s HMV at the CPL Finals.

I want to see some show like G4 have in the US – if you haven’t seen them before, check out some of their podcast videos – that’s the proper way to cover gaming on TV.

4. feeley

4th Mar, 2008 at 6:35 pm

can i join the xleague plz reply at my email

5. feeley

4th Mar, 2008 at 6:40 pm

i have ps3 nintendo wii ps2 nintendo ds lite
    i had a ps2 ps1 nintedo 64 gameboy colour game boy advance game boy sp
    so wud i be able to join the x leage if i get some ppl or just me reply back to me at my email

6. TheFluffyFist

4th Mar, 2008 at 9:44 pm

feeley, head over to Xleague.tv and sign up. They have PS3 and Wii tournaments that you could join.

7. Pingback: Games Cast TV – E-sports Television - The Average Gamer