- Nintendo Direct: Sonic Lost World AnnouncedPosted 2 days ago
- Anomaly 2 Review (PC)Posted 2 days ago
- GRID 2 Full Track List RevealedPosted 3 days ago
- Gran Turismo 6 Announced for 2013Posted 4 days ago
- More Mind-Controlled Gaming with Son of NorPosted 5 days ago
- Disney Infinity: Pirates of the Caribbean Play Set TrailerPosted 5 days ago
- New Magic 2014 Features RevealedPosted 5 days ago
- The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Interview – Nico BiharyPosted 6 days ago
- The Sims 3: Dragon Valley. Pet Baby Dragons!Posted 9 days ago
- Fancy Keyboards from RazerPosted 9 days ago
Marcus Fenix In Da House
- Updated: January 13, 2007
You may have heard about a limited edition Gears of War Marcus Fenix statue/statuette that’s floating about on eBay. It’s very pretty and extremely detailed. I know because I have one. I won it from a competition on HMV UK. w00t! :)
These are apparently not official ‘merchandise’, but they are licenced collectible figurines. Memorabilia, as HMV put it. See the update below for more details. Whatever they are, these are well-made solid statues. Judging by the slightly blobby Xbox 360 and Gears of War logos, I think they are probably hand-painted. Check out the last two photos below. I’m not sure how limited the run was but the highest number I’ve seen on eBay is 1897.
Click on any of the photos to see the high-res version.
Yes, the face doesn’t quite look like Marcus. Then again, has there ever been a figurine or action figure that looks convincingly like its progenitor? I’ve seen better but I’ve also seen much, much worse.
At the original time of writing there were six of these on eBay. Three of them appeared the day after I received my own in the post from HMV. Coincidence? Probably not.
The highest bid is Â£82 (US$160) with twenty-three hours to go and the The most recent auction will finish on 23-Jan-07 at 7pm, GMT. Good luck to anyone that wants one. You’re not getting mine. ;)
Edit 14th Jan 2007:
The first ‘Marcus Fenix Figure – Very Rare‘ that I saw on eBay UK just went for Â£102, not including postage. Pricey, but it’s a good quality figurine.
Update 19th January 2007:
I’m seeing in a few places that this statue is fake. It’s not but as I said above, it’s not official ‘merchandise’ either. Over in the Epic Games Gears forum, Epic’s Mark Rein has said the following:
“Actually those figurines were made in limited quantity for some sort of marketing promotion Microsoft was running with a retailer in the UK. They are limited edition, no more will be produced and they won’t be offered for sale. There’s nothing we can do to stop people from selling them on e-Bay. We had not seen the final product prior to release – hence the stories you might have read that they were fake – but they are legit.”
Yay :) Hope that clears things up.